What Global Education is?
The definition of Global Education takes shape in 2002 with the Congress of Maastricht which considers education for global citizens a necessary goal for the Millennium and identifies the five educations that constitute it: education for solidarity, human rights, sustainable development, peace, and interculture.
The Maastricht Declaration on Global Education (2002) concludes: Global Education is an education that opens people’s eyes and minds to the realities of the globalized world and awakens them so that they can contribute to the construction of a world of greater justice. , equity and human rights for all.
The Brussels Conference on Global Education expresses the belief that in order to promote the growth of countries, it is necessary to invest in education. It becomes fundamental to understand and to make it clear that it is in ignorance and social exclusion that extremisms find their place and feed themselves, which feed on the problems caused by social and economic inequalities and prejudices. This must be achieved through an educational process, in which the school obviously has a fundamental role in training younger people and accompany them towards the following objectives:
- Strengthening one’s individual or group identity not in opposition, but in communication with others;
- Develop a curious, attentive, available, democratic, sensitive, respectful personality;
- Becoming capable of reflecting on oneself, on others, on stereotypes and prejudices, demonstrating self-critical skills;
- Become aware of the complexity and relativity of points of view and therefore be able to change one’s own;
- To be able to constructively accept and coexist with the different; recognizing their rights.
– The Conference of Regions and Autonomous Provinces, in the session of 4 February, approved – with the abstention of the Regions of Liguria, Lombardy and Veneto – a document on education for global citizenship. The complete text is shown below (also published on the website www.regioni.it in the “Conferences” section).
– http://www.felcos.it/educazione-alla- cittadinanza-globale- 1108-1.html
-http: //www.globaleducationmagazine.com/gene-global- education-network-europe /